"Despite the weakening of democratic institutions and challenges of good
governance one may say that democracy has succeeded in the South Asian
region in its struggle against the anthoritarian forces. The resurgence of
democracy in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Bhutan and Maldives in the recent years
is a welcome development in this regard. There is a need to understand that
in the context of a socio-economic set up characterised by pluralities,
under-development and inequalities, the success of democracy would depend
upon a comprehensive approach to democracy. Democracy is not a political
process alone, it has to acquire a social and economic character as well,
ensuring inclusiveness alongwith development and equity.
The present study provides a comprehensive view of the nature, working and
challenges of democracy in South Asia. The importance of this volume lies
in the fact that it largely focuses upon the emerging patterns of democracy
in Afghanistan, Maldives and Bhutan.
It is hoped that study will prove to be beneficial to the students,
teachers and the intellectuals interested in understanding the dynamics of
democracy in South Asia both from conceptional and emperical perspectives."
List of Contributors
1. Introduction / B. C. Upreti
2. Afghanistan : Towards a Sustainable State / Dr. Ambish Dhaka
3. Afghanistan : Quest for Survival / Dr. Saurabh
4. Democracy in Afghanistan : Interplay of Domestic and External Factors /
Dr. Manon Dwivedi
5. Political Transition and Future of Democracy in Bangladesh / Dr. Smruti
6. Challenge of Institutionalization of Democracy in Bangladesh / Dr. Anand
7. Bhutan's Democratic Transition : An Assessment / Dr. Medha Bisht
8. Political Transformation in Nepal and Bhutan : A Comparative Overview /
Dr. C. Mathew Joseph
9. Emerging Trends in Indian Democracy : The Impact of Globalisation / Dr.
Prem R. Bhardwaj
10. Emergent Perils of Republic of India's Perless Democracy in Times of
Economic Ascendancy / Dr. P. C. Mathur
11. Grassroot Democracy and Women Political Participation in India / Dr.
Anupma Kaushik and Dr. Gayatri Shaktawat
12. Democratisation in Maldives / Dr. Alok Bansal
13. Democracy in Nepal : Shifting Paradigm / Prof. B. C. Upreti
14. Pakistan's Quest for Democracy : Civilian Interface, Emerging
Challenges and Future Prospects / Dr. Shashi Upadhyay
15. Democracy in Pakistan; the Role of Opposition / Prof. Surendra Nath
16. Regionalism, Ethnicity and Democracy in Pakistan / Dr. Surendra Singh
17. Democracy in Sri Lanka : An Overview / Dr. Krishan Gopal