"The present volume is the result of the participation of many art historians of
National and International repute in the National Seminar entitled `Ancient Indian Art and
Social Reality' held at vikram University, Ujjain by the auspices of ICHR.
The articles include a variety of topics ranging from the meaning of art, secular and
religious art, aspects of social life in art, folk art, prehistoric art, prominent
dynastic and regional styles, philosophical perspective of art, historiography of art etc.
The volume would go along way in opening up new dimensions of ancient Indian Art amidst
both researchers and general readers."
List of Plates
Detailed Report of The National Seminar
1. National Seminar on Ancient Indian Art and Social Reality / Susmita Pande
2. Integration of Nature in Indian Art : Some Dimensions / M. N. P. Tiwari
3. Sculptures : As the Source of Socio-Economic History of Madhya Pradesh / S. K.
4. Art and Architecture of Gopadri Region : Early Phase (Seventh to Tenth Century) / R.
N. Mishra (Lucknow)
5. Rise of the `Medieval' Factor in Indian Art / Shankar Goyal
6. South Asian Terracottas Art through the Ages / D. P. Sharma
7. Art Explanations for Certain Gupta Coins / Abhay Kumar Singh
8. Mask of the Yogini / Anamika Ray
9. Occupations in Ancient India as Depicted in Sculptural Art / Neeta Yadav
10. Reflection of Lord Genesa through Sculptural Representation in Jharkhand : A Study
/ Rajendra Dehuri
11. Some Similarities in the Rock Art of Chaturbhujnath Nala, Distt Mandsaur (M.P.) and
Artifacts of Harappan Civilization / J. Manuel
12. Notable Features of Payer Temple / John Mohmmad Paul
13. Vishnu and Shiva Temples of Avantivarman / Mohmmad Yaqob Allie
14. Sun Temple / Nissar Ahmad Kumar